I released Tarrasch V3.02a today. It is a maintenance (i.e. bugfix) release just like V3.01a three months ago. My apologies that releases like this are necessary. Tarrasch V3 is now about 4 months old, and hopefully is becoming more refined as small (and not so small) problems are noticed and fixed. Here is the changelog for V3.02a
- Annoying problems with editing games with many variations and comments (so that the edit window needs to scroll) fixed. The edit cursor no longer jumps to bottom line, and scroll position is preserved if you switch tabs.
- A side effect of the fix above is that text editing (for comments) is faster than ever, faster than previous V3 versions and *much* faster than V2.
- Introduce Tarraschbase – Kingbase lite 2016-03 plus more recent games from Twic. This is hopefully a temporary measure until Kingbase is updated again.
- Screen adjustment for improved games dialog behaviour on commodity 720p laptops.
- Kibitz box is dynamically scaled to show all four lines – not always 99 pixels high.
- Deleting games in games dialogs behaves better.
- Stalemate and Checkmate positions no longer sent to engine for analysis.
- Bug fixed: (Bug was; Cannot save recalculated ECOs to file.)
- Bug fixed: (Bug was; Modify game -> make new tab -> go back to game -> undo changes game still shows as modified even though undo stack correctly shown as empty).
- Inappropriate sharing of pgn games dialog help screen with clipboard and session games dialogs corrected.
- Long overdue update from Komodo V3 to Komodo V8 (apologies for not noticing that the Komodo free version has changed dramatically).
I have put the most serious things first in this list. The top item was a very disappointing problem that I didn’t notice until I started doing some serious work with Tarrasch V3 (basically editing large games). It had the additional bad attribute that it was very hard to fix! I am very happy to see the back of it and I hope other users notice the improvement made.
Something else worth noticing is that the standard KingBase Lite database shipped with Tarrasch V3 was getting very stale, so I have added all the 2200 Elo plus games published on TWIC since the last update in March 2016. So a full year’s top level games. I feel a bit guilty about this, I was happy to have a third party collecting games instead. I hope Pierre Havard starts updating KingBase again soon. I’ve called the modified KingBase Lite “Tarraschbase” for want of a better name. I really hope this is an interim measure. I plan on contacting Mark Crowther to tell him I am doing this, I suppose it’s possible he will ask me to stop. I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it.