Tarrasch V3 Release Candidate Released
Today I nearly finished Tarrasch V3. After many years of work! However in the end I decided I was too tired, and had made too many changes, and I didn’t want to rush such an important milestone and risk botching it.
So instead I released the final version Beta version. The plan is that this is a release candidate – in other words the final version will follow in a few days with (preferably) no changes. You can download the final Beta and try it out from my website triplehappy.com. It goes without saying that I will be very grateful to anyone who does this and reports on their experience, good or bad.
Actually having said all that I am going to make one more change – I am going to eliminate the “in-between” name TarraschDb and use Tarrasch instead. So when I finally pull the trigger on Tarrasch V3 (hopefully in the next few days), the new release will overwrite Tarrasch V2, not Tarrasch V3 Beta. This is a unification process designed to eliminate confusion – there will (soon) be only one latest version of Tarrasch. Of course I will make Tarrasch V2 available to anyone who wants it for some reason.
Here are the enhancements in the lastest Beta, from my Github release notes. There are some significant enhancements to the user experience in this list;
- All chess boards larger (use space more efficiently) with configurable colours and move highlighting
- All chess graphics has improved anti-aliasing for crisper borders
- Number of custom UCI parameters increased from four to six
- Added open recent files (mru) functionality
- Menu shortcuts and help strings finally work according to Windows standard (after many years of not noticing a problem : )
- Paste into edit window will (finally) parse and use .pgn tags if present.
- Much more complete and effective Ratings filters for database creation
- Now works on Windows XP
- Can capture engine output when playing against engine (this was an unnoticed bug in Tarrasch V2)
- Lag N moves training feature was broken in previous release, now fixed
- Fixed major bug whereby Undo/Takeback did not play nicely with “force immediate move” and/or fixed period mode. This was an unnoticed bug in Tarrasch V2.
- Update default engine to Stockfish 8
- Ticking clocks are now red
- “Reply to …” prompts are now red
- Tabs can now be closed with mouse
- Many small bug fixes
I think these all add up to a much more refined experience. I personally now enjoy using Tarrasch more than ever before. Everything flows nicely, it’s easy to get things done without fighting the program, and (very importantly) with the anti-aliasing improvements and the highlighted squares the graphics are more professional looking and very satisfying to use.
In case it’s not obvious I am feeling pretty good about Tarrasch V3 right now!