I’m in the middle of a mini burst of Tarrasch activity after quite a long lay-off. A few days ago I finally worked through the process of getting the Tarrasch source code onto a proper public repository. The last couple of days I have been working on Tarrasch’s main website (triplehappy.com). Hopefully it is now looking a lot more respectable and professional.
The other day I promised I would layout a plan for Tarrasch V2.1, based on fixing the rough edges that I’ve observed using Tarrasch V2.0 extensively. Here’s a list of the problems I want to fix, in rough order of priority (higher priority) first.
- Houdini 1.5 works pretty well in Tarrasch, however for some reason it seems to be necessary to manually stop the engine in circumstances where other engines gracefully stop themselves. For example, before loading a new game, or quitting the program. Investigate this and fix this.
- Changing engines a lot causes unnecessary pain because all the file selection dialogs in the program remember the last directory you accessed. The engine selection dialog should not start in the last place you opened a .pgn file. Conversely, the .pgn file open dialog should not start in the engine directory if you just changed engines.
- Some extra file management commands are needed. The existing Save as… should be complemented by and Save as game. Save as game will always create a new .pgn with just the single game you are working on. The existing Save as… command creates a new file with all the games in the current file, sometimes that’s a curse not a convenience.
- It would also be really nice and convenient if the Games -> Clipboard (and maybe Games -> Session) dialogs had a button that let me save these clipboard (and maybe session) games into a new file.
- If you are in the habit of pasting text into an empty edit window, subsequently pressing “New game” will (always? sometimes?) resurrect that text instead of starting fresh.
- There’s a bug in the “4th kibitz line” that stops V2.00a showing all 4 lines with Komodo. I fixed this bug for V2.00b (the Komodo special edition), but I worry about its presence in V2.00a
- It would be nice if Ctrl-A selected all games in all Game > dialogs
- There is a bug whereby if a file save fails (eg because ChessBase has opened your file too), then subsequent file saves will appear to work, but actually won’t.
- I should really look at what happens if you try to use a 64 bit engine on a 32 bit system. I’ve never even tried this and have no idea if it fails gracefully or calamitously.
- It would be nice if you could edit text before a move in those circumstances where a move is the first move after the end of a nested variation. (Silly me only took into account the possibility of wanting to use “text before move” in the first move of a variation).
- I’d like to improve the up and down arrow functions so that you can move smoothly through a list of alternative variations.
I’m sure I’ll think of other things. That will have to do for now though!
It’s a few days work, but I don’t imagine I’ll get it done for several weeks.